Thursday, August 27, 2009

Bil Keane and The Family Circus


Since 1979, I've been corresponding with Bil Keane and his wife Thel and daughter Gayle "Dolly". Gayle handles the business end of her dad's career, and sold me limited edition pieces of the cartoon (mugs, plaques, figurines, plates, etc) I used to speak to her quite often. It all began with a fan letter and his wife sending me two discontinued, first edition books, autographed to me. For whatever reason, they would take the time to keep in touch. Eventually, as I reached adulthood, our relationship has included a twice a year letter and a rare phone call (the older he gets, the harder it is to talk on the phone). I was only 12 years old, but our relationship has truly grown over the years to where I consider them family and at the very least, the Keane's consider me their loyalest fan.

 In 1987, for my 21st birthday, he flew my mom and me to Arizona to spend a weekend with him and have a chance to meet one another in person. He drove out to our hotel and we went back to his home and studio in Paradise Valley, Arizona. I spoke to his son Jeff on the phone. Bil was amazed at my knowledge of his cartoon and wondered who knew more, me or his son Jeff, the other Family Circus enthusiast of the family. Now Jeff co-authors the cartoon and will officially take over when Bil retires. At the time, the Keane's were neighbors with Erma Bombeck, who was out of town for the weekend, so we couldn't meet. He was receiving an award at the Ice Capades while we were there so we had a special reception to go to and I was his guest, which was really cool. Just getting into the Arena was an adventure. I have stories that would fill a book of my time with them. Thel would take pictures of Bil signing autographs and of me by his side holding his award. He treated us to a wonderful cafe by his house.

In 2001, just after Adam turned one, the three of us flew out to see him for a second time. It was amazing to see him again, and for him to meet my family. After dinner, Thel and I went into the kitchen and we dished out ice cream for the men. That is one of my favorite memories. It felt so ordinary, yet extraordinary, at the time, to be in the midst of a couple I so greatly admire and adore.

After not hearing back from him in 2007, we received our annual Christmas card/Calendar in December 2008. He had signed it "Bil Keane", not "and Thel". Somehow, I missed her death this past May of complications from Alzheimer's. I immediately called Gayle and found out that about two weeks earlier he had a bad fall and dislocated his hip. Most recently I called his son Jeff and received another update that he is recovering very nicely at home with a full time nurse. With Mr. Keane in his mid 80's I know his time on earth is probably drawing near an end and I truly will miss a man who means so much to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment