Tuesday, May 18, 2010

The Gift of Books

In my house, there is a lot of reading going on. Adam and I are reading the Harry Potter series together out loud each night. Friends convinced me to give the series a shot and I was hooked on it from book one. Over the summer of 2009, I read all 7 books. When Adam expressed an interest in the series, I told him I would re-read them with him. My reason was two-fold. First, admittedly, this series is probably above his grade level comprehension. He is right in line with other kids in his grade, but he certainly is not above grade level in his reading ability. This book series is probably targeted to the 11 to 14 age range. Secondly, in the Christian community this series is judged by varying degrees of appropriateness. Honestly, I don't necessarily disagree. Whenever the spirit world and "dark magic" are thematic, I think it is best handled with adult supervision. The farther you get into the books, the more difficult they become and I felt this to be a win-win. I could address spiritual matters as they occur, and Adam still get to enjoy the creative writings of a solid story line and be lost in a world of fantasy.We are 100 pages into the fourth book, which is over 700 pages in length.

The story of Adam reading begins at age 5, the summer before he began kindergarten. After two years of preschool he certainly already knew his alphabet, upper and lower case, and all the sounds they made. Still, he wasn't quite reading yet, other than identifying some sight words. With the blessing of their dad, I purchased the Hooked on Phonics program off E-bay. For a fraction of the cost, I purchased a box set of 6 levels to teach him to read. Having a spring birthday, he was barely 5 when we got out our cassette tape instruction and interactive work book. Over the course of 9 months, Adam and I finished all 6 levels. At 135 pages for the first level and 60 pages for each level thereafter, this was a huge accomplishment for both of us. As a parent, this is one of my proudest parenting achievements. Adam has always been motivated by praise -- and I'm motivated by his enthusiasm so we made a good team. It was hard work. But it was rewarding. After each completed level, he would choose a restaurant to celebrate. Once it was Chuck E Cheese, and on more than one occasion, it was IHOP. Love the chocolate chip smiley face breakfasts.

In first through second grades, I read the Magic Tree House books to Adam every night at bedtime. With more than 40 books in the series that was no small task either. But again, we both loved them, purchasing them as we went along--often on E-bay for a fraction of the cost per book. Even now, as the author publishes a new book in the series, we buy it immediately and read it together.  Reading with Adam is the best quality time I've ever spent with him.

But something happened in third grade, Adam stopped enjoying reading. Maybe it's a developmental thing--or merely the inevitable let down after finishing an entire series of books. But I struggled to encourage him in this worthy pursuit.  Except for the summer of 09 when I fell in love with Harry, I wasn't much of an example for Adam. My own love of reading waned for several years. Occasionally I would pick up a book: The Red Tent and The Shack to name a few. But I realized that I essentially went years without pleasure reading. I was simply too tired and too busy. If kids live what they learn, then Adam was learning to only read if required. So perhaps it was watching my renewed passion for reading that spurred Adam to reconnect with books. He read The Lightening Thief series, and a few 39 Clues books. Yet it wasn't until Harry Potter that I saw Adam develop a sustainable love of it again. And his teacher has told me several times that his reading and comprehension has gone off the charts in a short period of time. Critics can call me a "bad mom" for allowing him to read this series because of the dark magic. So be it. My son is reading. That is enough for me.

With Elise, I've followed much the same path for her. Every night at bedtime, her dad and I read anywhere from 2 to 4 books to her. Dr. Seuss and Berenstein Bear books are our favorites, but anything will do. We stumbled upon an old collection of Turtle Magazine issues from when Michael was a preschooler. He's almost 22 now so you can imagine how outdated they are. Yet, to Elise, they are wonderful.

I knew with her starting kindergarten soon, it was time to start the phonics program with her too. If it worked for Adam, it would work for her. We are about 20 pages from completing the first level. And here is where Mom Brain or Selective Memory is kicking in for me. It has been torture for me. Maybe I just chose to forget how painfully slow the process is in the beginning. I find myself short tempered and frustrated with her progress. She, on the other hand, is generally delightful--until she has had enough--and then she won't tolerate even one more page. I imagine Adam was the same way. Like I said, selective memory.

What has been painful to me is watching her sounding out a word she has read no less than 5 times in the last two pages of a story. The key is repetition and recognizing blends to speed the reading along. She can read "This" five times, but turn the page and the sixth time, a blank stare. Frustrating. Of course, it really hasn't clicked with her yet. I am not sure when the moment was for Adam either, but there comes a point in the reading where they suddenly just "get it". I do think she is on the verge of that break through. She is starting to think of simple words and want to try her hand at spelling them out loud. She is wanting to talk about her workbook lessons and point out familiar words as we read books together. All good signs.

It does look like a trip to Subway is close at hand, (her restaurant of choice right now) with only 20 pages in the book to complete. Depending on her mood, it is probably two or three more sessions. Of course, she is starting to balk at the next level. I am hoping she's been more enthusiastic about it after the reward. I can tell for her I am going to have to up the ante. For Adam, a sticker chart worked in conjunction with the dinner out. For Elise, computer time. Welcome to the new age of rewards for kids.

I've learned a lot about myself in the process, reading with both kids. It has required me to slow down and let them choose the pace. It's also been about commitment, even when I don't want to. And patience....lots and lots and lots of patience. Kudos to the teachers who teach our children every day, and to the parents who home school. Hats off to you! This has been a lesson in leaving the bulk of my kid's learning to those called to do it.

In the meantime, I'll keep doing what I am called to do--which is to be as present in my kid's school lives as possible and enjoy the recreational reading with them. After all, that is priceless!!

3 comments:

  1. Bon..

    I loved this entry!! I am so envious that you have Adam & Elise to read to and encourage them to continue to pleasure read! I remember being so ecstatic when Robert, Katie & Emmy had really picked up the bug. Hannah reads too but she is more like my brother Eric and reads like 3-4 things at once,which honestly I could never do or comprehend!! Continue to pursue this with the kids because as a child who grew up with books it's something that I can always look back on with wonderful memories of my mom & I going to the library, which is one of my most treasured memories!! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bonnie,
    I don't believe there is a better way to spend quality time with your kids. We are huge readers here and I wouldn't trade a minute of our reading time for a $1Million. Well ok maybe a minute. I love your Blog and look forward to seeing more! What a great example you are. Amy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Bonnie,

    I find you to be every teacher's dream parent. I always tell parents that children are their biggest investment and they need to take care of that investment by doing things that will pay of with them in the future. Reading is one of those things. Colleges and the job market are very competitive these days, they need to start preparing their children early to be successful later on. You are doing a remarkable job and Adam and Elise are very fortunate even if they may not know or appreciate it yet.

    What you have done with Adam sounds exactly what I did with both boys and Wes in particular. Even to the point of the same books we read. We loved those Magic Tree House books. Wes has not been a pleasure reader either. I read with him since birth. I actually read to him for the first time the day I brought him home from the hospital. Reading clicked for him in October of Kindergarten and he was amazed at himself that he could read. I remember driving around and he would read everything he saw wherever we went. I realized he was attempting to read when he was about four and half and he asked me what the in-soo-ran-key store sold. Clueless, I had to ask him what he was talking about and he pointed to a store sign that said "Insurance". At that moment it clickde that he was attempting to make sense of print. Even though he read early and could read well, he did not really enjoy reading. He is mainly a series reader and once he gets hooked on a series its a beautiful thing to see him so engrosed in reading for pleasure. In 5th grade he loved the Among the Hidden series of books referred to also as the (shadow children series) by Margaret Haddix. He actually loved them so much that he sold me to reading them and I enjoyed them too. He also had his grandmother (Steven's mom) reading them one after the other when she came to visit. Try out the first one if you are looking to start a new series with him after HP or something for yourself. All through middle school he was hooked on a series called Pendragon (I couldn't get into those books though) and in high school he got hooked on the vampire series of books that are so popular.

    Keep the blog going. I enjoy reading it. Lately, with my school work I don't read much for pleasure, so getting into Bon's Brain is always a reading treat.

    Heidi

    ReplyDelete