Sunday, September 6, 2009

Political Opinions--Yeah, I've Got 'em

Religion. Sex. Politics. Three subjects that can generate interesting and lively conversations and debates in any setting.

But for the sake of argument, let's talk politics, shall we? Actually, if you were to ask me that, my real answer is "No thanks." The heart of my response comes from feeling a little behind the 8-ball. I don't spend a lot of time educating myself on what people consider "politics". All of it kind of bores me, and quite frankly, I think my ignorance would show through. Religion, I have knowledge. Sex, yeah...but politics...hmm not so much.

I admire people who know their stuff. They can talk about all the issues: the economy, our troops in Afghanistan, Health Care reform, Stimulus package, Missouri AYP --any subject really. Whether I believe what they believe or not, I totally respect that they are educated and informed. I should be paying more attention, I know. Don't get me wrong, I'm certainly not ignorant in the true sense of the word but let's just say that if you want to talk politics you are far more likely to come across intelligently.

What is piquing my curiosity right now is the issue that is at the heart of Facebook politics "Should Obama be allowed to make a nationwide address to children without parental consent?" Personally, I haven't and won't answer the question directly on FB because I like to explain myself. A simple yes or no or don't care just doesn't seem adequate.

From one story I read on line and I've posted below, Obama's intent is to encourage our children to stay in school, set academic goals and to explain the importance of improving schools. Interesting thought and I think it's OK up to a point. Encouragement to be the best you can be is always good and I can sit with that. But I guess in my 40+ years I've grown skeptical. Sure, he's addressing the "children" but he knows full and well adults are listening, too. I imagine some of what he will say will be aimed at the adults--educators, parents, grandparents, caretakers. I think some of it will speak to our children but some of it may be above the average child's understanding.

That is where I am divided in my opinion. It is less about "Do I trust Obama to send a message I want my son to hear" and more about "Do I trust my son to fully understand what Obama is telling him"? I know my child. He is a well-educated, sweet and talkative boy. He is also easily influenced and is swayed by peer pressure and takes a lot of what he hears at full face value, without the discernment to think for himself. In the near decade I've been his parent, I've become aware of how naive and innocent my child is in the ways of the world and in adult matters.  I've listened to him tell me his favorite color is blue until I say my favorite color is orange--in the next breath, he's changing his to orange, too. As a "typical" child my son emulates those of influence. He has certainly lived what he has learned and that has been a blend of positive and negative.

What I do know is that if my son is required to watch the televised address, I won't interfere. But as his mom, you can be sure that I will be watching and taping it at home so that when he gets home from school, we can talk about what he heard and answer any questions he might have. We might even watch it together a second time. It would be naive of me to think that Adam heard what I heard. He will process the information differently than me. As his parent I need to make sure we are on the same page and he takes away from it whatever is age appropriate. The last time I checked, adults elected our President, not my 9 year old son.  I want Adam's biggest concern to be homework, play dates and after school activities.  To quote John Cougar Mellencamp "Hold on to 16 (or 9) as long as you can. Changes come around real soon make us women and men".

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/latestnews/stories/090309dnmetobamaschools.3ca94f4.html

1 comment:

  1. Bonnie,
    I became quite political in the spring of 2004 when I realized that President Bush lead the country into war in Iraq on false pretenses. Not only that, he directed the vast majority of our resources away from the real war against the perpetrators of 9/11. Imagine attacking China instead of Japan in response to Pearl Harbor. I understand a parent's reluctance to let the President address the nation's school children especially in these times. I would not have wanted Bush speaking to my kids because I'm certain he would have made it political. I have to give everyone who prefers not to let Obama speak to their kids a free pass; I think their wrong but I understand.

    ReplyDelete