Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Old Man Winter

I am a snow baby with this being my birth month. According to the Zodiac, I was also born under the sign of fire. Heat versus cold....heat will edge out cold for me any day!! Can I just put it out there that I really dislike winter. I know I have several friends who live for winter. They love snowmobiling, skiing -- basking in the snow. Not me. At all! I. do. not. like. winter. Just so that we're clear.

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter. That would sum of my favorite seasons in descending order. Maybe I'd like it more if we had true winters. I've never researched it but I think we must be the ice capital of the mid-west.  Cold temperatures definitely, but we don't see a lot of snow. It rains a lot, which I think is odd. It's raining today. And since it is in the 20's, it's cold nasty rain. What's up with that? At least with snow, it's pretty and predictable. But with cold rain, it's just yuck. And when it freezes into ice, stay off the roads. St. Louisans really don't know how to drive in anything but sunny conditions.The overcast sky that takes up temporary residence, often not showing the sun for weeks at a time, adds to the ick factor. Seasonal mood disorders from a lack of sun. Pretty depressing. Literally.

Prediction for an inch of snow? News coverage around the clock; the grocery stores have stampedes like it's Thanksgiving eve. Really? Stupid people. 

What I dislike about winter is having to bundle myself and my kids before leaving the house--coats, hats, gloves, scarves. Hassle to buckle my daughter into her car seat in the winter. The summer no problem. With a pair of flip flops and cute little short/top outfit, you are good to go. Much more forethought into leaving the house in the winter. When it does manage to snow, it's the melting gooky snow left behind from tire tracks and footprints that end up on your car floorboard and kitchen floor that is just gross. Yep, I am not a fan of winter.

Of course there are a few things I love about winter. An excuse to snuggle up on the couch with a mug of hot chocolate with mini-marshmallows. And soup. I love making soups once or twice a week. Definitely love the warm comfort of food in the winter. Changing over my summer wardrobe to winter clothes is kind of fun, too. To be clear, it's a necessary evil to change over my kid's clothes, too, which is decidedly on a top 10 list of things I do NOT like. But for me, I like it. I find sweaters and boots I had forgotten about--or a a find a reason to add a few pieces of clothing to my wardrobe.  And I do love the quiet falling snow, undisturbed by people or animals. It can be beautiful to watch while in the comfort of your warm house.

Oh, there is one more thing I like about winter.....When winter has officially arrived, I can start the countdown to my favorite season and I know when it arrives in March or maybe early April I have a full 8 or 9 months to enjoy before having to deal with old man winter. Yes. THAT is my favorite part about winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment