Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Tis the Season

It may surprise many people to know this, but I struggle with getting into the Christmas spirit. And that has been true for most of my adult life.

Actually, I think there are several elements interfering with being joyful this time of year. As a young adult, it started with the fact that my two sisters, my mom and myself have November-December birthdays. It's always been a challenge for me to focus on Christmas when there are several birthdays that are immediately before it. Then enter married life. I recall meeting Tony's extended family at Easter and them asking when my birthday fell. When I said the date, they all reacted the same "Of course it is". Their reaction was fitting. Why? Tony and his twin, their sister Holly, sister in law Karin, my father in law and oldest niece all have December birthdays. Add that to the mix of Olsen birthdays and it's enough to make any one's head spin. Talk about stress coming up with double the gift ideas--and double the money.  Unfortunately, the financial stress in November and December doesn't help matters. A few of my best friends also have December birthdays. Seriously, couldn't we spread the wealth just a little?

Decorating the tree, decking out the house--interior and exterior, baking special Christmas treats, planning and shopping, wrapping gifts, Christmas parties, Christmas shows, school productions.  The list is endless this time of year. When you are already busy the insanity of this time of year is mind-boggling. Yes, I struggle to actually enjoy and appreciate this time of year.

Jesus. My Christian roots are really what's important and yet somehow the Christmas season is less and less about Him and more about the hustle and bustle of traditions and keeping up with how everyone else is celebrating. What it comes down to for me is that all this attention is focused on our Savior's birth--Carols are sung, manger scenes are proudly displayed, Jesus buttons appear on lapels--and it's accepted, even encouraged. But come December 26 it's over. And for another 11 months society will tell us it's NOT alright to proclaim his name or boldly talk about Christ. Yes, getting in the spirit is difficult for me. Society's contradiction squashes down my excitement.

I don't need Christmas to celebrate the greatest man ever born; my Savior and Lord. I do that 365 days a year. And I do it authentically, consistently and passionately. I'll gladly put away my Christmas tree, put away my Christmas music and cookie recipes for another year. Jesus for me is more than an abstract concept to be celebrated once a year. He's in my heart every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment